A spicy chicken dish which can be cooked on the barbecue or baked in the oven.
1 tblsp Ground cumin seeds
1 tblsp Paprika*
1 tsp Chili powder*
1 tblsp Turmeric
1 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp Salt
4 Garlic cloves, mashed
6 tblsp Lemon juice
1500 gm Chicken pieces
3 tblsp Vegetable oil
2 Fresh red or green chilies, sliced
Fresh coriander leaf
- Combine the ground cumin, paprika, chili powder, turmeric, black pepper, salt, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl. Score the chicken pieces and add to the bowl. Mix well ensuring all the chicken pieces are coated and the marinade has seeped into the scores.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (overnight would be preferable).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degC.
- Take out the chicken and shake any excess marinade from the pieces. Place the pieces in a shallow baking dish in a single layer and brush over the oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes basting once. Turn the chicken pieces over, baste and bake for a further 20 minutes, basting once.
- Remove the chicken, garnish with the fresh chilies and or coriander leaf, and serve.
* The quantities of paprika and chili powder may be adjusted to taste but the total quantity should remain the same.
To discuss this recipe visit CookingBites Foodie Forum