This is a classic Sicilian dessert from Palermo. This recipe is adapted from http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/sicilian-watermelon-pudding-gelo-di-melone
- 750 g watermelon, chopped
- 50 g caster sugar
- 50 g cornflour
- chopped pistachios, candied lemon peel* to garnish (optional)
- Blend watermelon until smooth. I used a stick blender. Strain through a sieve.
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar and cornflour, then add enough watermelon pulp to dissolve the cornflour (do not heat the pan).
- Add remaining watermelon pulp to pan and bring to the boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Continue to whisk for a further 6 minutes or until thick, then remove from heat.
- Allow to cool slightly and pour into mould(s) this mixture makes 4 small puddings or one large
- Chill for in the fridge until set. Serve topped pistachios and candied lemon peel. The original recipe suggests topping with cream and/or chopped chocolate as well.
*I made the candied lemon peel by leaving finely shredded lemon peel in caster sugar overnight.
— Discuss at CookingBites Cooking Forum