- 750 gm Potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 tblsp Olive oil
- 250 gm Okra, trimmed, chopped, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 Large onions, finely chopped
- 3 tsp Ginger, pureed
- 2 tsp Garlic pureed
- 6 Red or orange Thai chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp Ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ground caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 100 mm Cinnamon stick, broken up
- 2 Black cardamom pods, split open
- 4 Whole cloves
- 175 ml Water
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tblsp Tomato puree
- 2 Cayenne chilies, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tblsp Coriander leaf, chopped
Cut the potatoes into bite size pieces. Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the potatoes until brown on all sides. Remove and keep aside.
Add a little more oil to the wok and fry half the onions, ginger, garlic and Thai chilies until the onion has browned slightly. Add the ground coriander, cumin, caraway, turmeric, chili powder, cinnamon stick, cardamom and cloves and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add the water, potatoes and okra, bring to the boil stirring continuously. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Heat more oil in a frying pan and stir fry the remaining onions until golden brown. Add to the wok and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add the salt, tomato puree, sliced chilies and stir fry on a low heat for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander leaf and serve hot.
To discuss the recipe click here